Re: slow eMMC write speed

Hi James,

2011/9/30 J Freyensee <james_p_freyensee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> So I have a question on write behavior.
>
> Say mmc_blk_issue_rw_rq() is called.  Say the mmc_queue *mq variable passed
> in is a write.

You mean the struct request?

> Say that write is buffered, delayed into being sent via
> mmc_wait_for_req() for 5 seconds, and it's sent to mmc_wait_for_req() later.
>  Would that delay of sending the brq->mrq entry to mmc_wait_for_req() cause
> a timeout, ie:

Are you working off of mmc-next? Sounds like you don't have Per
Förlin's async work yet.
I don't want to sound lame (yes, I know your Medfield or whatever
projects build on a particular baseline),
but you would be doing yourself a huge favor by doing your interesting
investigations on top of the top of
tree.

The old code indeed calls mmc_wait_for_req in  mmc_blk_issue_rw_rq,
while the new code does a
mmc_start_req, which waits for a previous async request to complete
before issuing the new one.

Could you describe in greater detail what you're doing? What exactly
do you mean by buffering?
As far as I understand, until you call mmc_wait_for_req (old code) or
mmc_start_req (new code), your
request only exists as a data structure, and the host controller
doesn't know or care about it. So it doesn't
matter when you send it - now, or five seconds in the future (of
course, you probably don't want other requests
to get ahead of a barrier request).

The mmc_set_data_timeout routine is used to calculate the time the
host controller will wait for the card to
process the read/write. This is obviously tied to the transfer size,
type (read or write), card properties as inferred
from its registers and technology.

> mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
>
> ??
>
> If this is true, how would you extend the timeout?  I would not have
> expected this until mmc_wait_for_req() is called.

The fact that you got a timeout implies that the host was processing a
struct mmc_request already.

 It appeared to me
> mmc_set_data_timeout() was just setting a variable in brq to be used when
> mmc_wait_for_req() is called.  I only see this behavior in eMMC cards, not
> MMC cards being stuck into an MMC slot of a laptop.

It's hard to say what is going without seeing some code. My other suggestion is
instrument the host driver (and block driver as well) and figure out
what request is failing
and why.