Re: slow eMMC write speed

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM, J Freyensee
<james_p_freyensee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>> an
>>> LBA on an MMC.  I keep wondering if more of the 'struct request' could
>>> have
>>> been used, and 1/3 of these structures could be eliminated.  And another
>>> thing I wonder too is how much of this infrastructure is really needed,
>>> that
>>> when I do ask "what is this for?" question on the list and no one
>>> responds,
>>> if anyone else understands if it's needed either.
>>
>> I know I am not using the scatterlists, since the scatterlists are
>> aggregated into a 64k bounce buffer.  Regarding the different structs,
>> I am just taking them on face value assuming everything works "well".
>> But, my concern is why does it take such a long time (250 ms) to
>> return a transfer complete interrupt on occasional cases.  During this
>> time, the kernel is just waiting for the txfer_complete interrupt.
>> That's it.
>
> I think one fundamental problem with execution of the MMC commands is even
> though the MMC has it's own structures and own DMA/Host-controller, the OS's
> block subsystem and MMC subsystem do not really run independent of either
> other and each are still tied to each others' fate, holding up performance
> of the kernel in general.
>
> In particular, I have found that in the 2.6.36+ kernels that the sooner you
> can retire the 'struct request *req' (ie using __blk_end_request()) with
> respect to when the mmc_wait_for_req() call is made, the higher performance
> you are going to get out of the OS in terms of reads/writes using an MMC.
>  mmc_wait_for_req() is a blocking call, so that OS 'struct request req' will
> just sit around and do nothing until mmc_wait_for_req() is done.  I have
> been able to do some caching of some commands, calling __blk_end_request()
> before mmc_wait_for_req(), and getting much higher performance in a few
> experiments (but the work certainly is not ready for prime-time).
>
> Now in the 3.0 kernel I know mmc_wait_for_req() has changed and the goal was
> to try and make that function a bit more non-blocking, but I have not played
> with it too much because my current focus is on existing products and no
> handheld product uses a 3.0 kernel yet (that I am aware of at least).
>  However, I still see the fundamental problem is that the MMC stack, which
> was probably written with the intended purpose to be independent of the OS
> block subsystem (struct request and other stuff), really isn't independent
> of the OS block subsystem and will cause holdups between one another,
> thereby dragging down read/write performance of the MMC.
>
> The other fundamental problem is the writes themselves.  Way, WAY more
> writes occur on a handheld system in an end-user's hands than reads.
> Fundamental computer principle states "you make the common case fast". So
> focus should be on how to complete a write operation the fastest way

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Please let me know if there is a fundamental issue with the way I am
inserting the high res timers.  In the block.c file, I am timing the
transfers as follows

1. Start timer
mmc_queue_bounce_pre()
mmc_wait_for_req()
mmc_queue_bounce_post()
End timer

So, I don't really have to worry about the blk_end_request right.
Like you said, wait_for_req is a blocking wait.  I don't see what is
wrong with that being a blocking wait, because until you get the data
xfer complete irq, there is no point in going ahead.  The
blk_end_request comes later in the picture only when all the data is
transferred to the card.
My line of thought is that the card is taking a lot of time for its
internal housekeeping.  But, I want to be absolutely sure of my
analysis before I can pass that judgement.

I have also used another Toshiba card that gives me about 12 MBps
write speed for the same code, but I am worried is whether I am
masking some issue by blaming it on the card.  What if the Toshiba
card can give a throughput more than 12MBps ideally?

Or could there be an issue that the irq handler(sdhci_irq) is called
with some kind of a delay and is there a possibility that we are not
capturing the transfer complete interrupt immediately?