SDIO card, newbie question

 Hi all,

 I have a question about latency and SDIO, since many laptops don't
have a 'gameport' anymore and I want to do realtime IO, I was thinking
of making a SDIO GPIO card.
 I know USB is a no go, if not using buffers for outgoing data ... so
SDIO is a desperate mans hope.
 i need a refresh rate of 10 kHz to 100kHz approximately.

 Do you think it could handle the latency ? and how much latency would
be expected ?
 Also would it be possible to do sensible interrupts ?

 I was planning on running in spi mode, basicly registering it as SDIO
and then sending spi to and from some chips with spi support.

 I gather this would need a driver, but does this all sound feasible ?
 I gather I would try a simple GPIO interface for starters.

 Ie. interface some SPI controlled chips through SDIO ?  and getting
low latency.

 Please CC me as I am not on the list ( yet ) ...
 I have looked whats in the kernel tree, but it seem's my purpose is a
bit different.

 / best regards, Lars Segerlund.