Re: [RFC 4/5] MMC: Adjust unaligned write accesses.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 March 2011 21:45:07 Andrei Warkentin wrote:
>> > We can pre-initialize the page size to some common value
>> > (e.g. 16 KB for 4GB or larger cards, 4 KB for smaller than
>> > 4 GB), and use quirks to override it for cards where we
>> > know it's different.
>> >

>> Even better. We have the "super page size" in the EXT_CSD. For example
>> for Sandisk it's 16KB, Toshiba is reporting 32KB, but we know that's
>> not right...
>
> Ok, that sounds good. I don't think we have anything like this
> for SD cards though, so we'd still need to make some reasonable
> assumption there.
>
> The one thing we know is that all SD cards should support writes of
> 32KB alignment, because that is the largest cluster size supported
> by FAT16 and FAT32. I have experimentally shown that most cards
> can reasonably do 16KB, and only few modern cards can do smaller
> than that.
>
> I also don't know what the effect of setting physical_block_size
> and/or io_min is, possibly it no longer works if they are larger
> than the MMU page size. Need to try this.

The other thing is figuring out the default size limit for when the
page align should be performed. I suppose it's safe enough to
set it to 1.5 size the super_page_size. But that number came from the
Toshiba card tests. Or it could be unbounded by default. I'd rather do
the later.