Re: SDHC Read Performance

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:01:04PM +0900, Magnus Damm wrote:
>> 1) Can you try a different SDHC Class 10 card? I'd just simply buy a
>> top-of-the-line SanDisk card myself and try that, but anything
>> different from what you're having is probably useful as a contrast.
>
> Sure, will do.

Thanks!

>> 2) How about the MMC4.0 down-clocking. Is there anything we can do
>> about that software-wise?
>
> As I understand it, the problem is that the SDHI allows a simple
> divisor to applied to a clock source. Effectively this means
> that the driver may use use 12Mhz, 24Mhz and 50Mhz.
>
> In the case of MMC the desired speed is 20Mhz, but the highest
> value from the list above that the driver can use is 12Mhz.

We could make use of the ->set_clk_div() callback and configure the
parent clock whenever that is possible.

> As we discussed (offline) yesterday, it ought to be possible
> to change the frequency of the clock source. And in the case of
> the mackerel this can probably be done without disturbing anything
> else as there are per SHDI clock sources.

Uhm, this is not entirely correct. The sh7372 used by Mackerel is in
this case similar to most older SH processors and shares a clock
between all SDHI hardware blocks. This clock is also shared with a
bunch of other peripherals, so we can't adjust it freely during
runtime.

The sh73a0 processor has per-SDHI block clock control.

> I imagine it would be possible to manipulate the frequency
> such that MMC can be run closer to 20Mhz than 12Mhz.
>
> However, I am unsure if this would improve performance in any way.

It most likely would. Perhaps it's worth adjusting the shared clock a
bit to support 20MHz?

Thanks,

/ magnus