Re: SD power-control necessary?

2011/1/7 Hein_Tibosch <hein_tibosch@xxxxxxxx>:
> Maybe a stupid question, but when designing new hardware with a slot
> for an sd-card, how essential is it that the driver is able to power off/on
> the card?

For one, this is needed for power-management. In powered suspend case,
when card's slot does not provide card change detection, power-cycle
is the only way sure way to get a card to known state in case it can
be removed in that time.

> I would say essential, because I've seen sd-cards in a state in which they
> didn't respond to MMC_GO_IDLE_STATE anymore, until they were re-inserted.
>
> Can anyone shed a light on this? How could an sd-card get into such a state?

After CMD15 (GO_INACTIVE_STATE) or because of a card bug.

> Will the mmc driver fall back to mmc_rescan() after an initialized card
> becomes non-responsive?

When the card goes off-protocol it's in undefined state, so a reset is
the only way to get it back to known state. Since in SD/MMC there's no
reset signal - only power cycle can reset the card.

Best Regards,
Michał Mirosław