Re: [linux-pm] subtle pm_runtime_put_sync race and sdio functions

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> They would also gain deterministic and controllable behavior that we
>> can't guarantee when we rely on a context switch, because obviously
>> the latter yields different results for different platforms and
>> workloads (for the exact same subsystem).
>
> Like I said before, it's a trade-off.  There are arguments for both
> sides, and which is better is unclear.  Rafael has to make a judgment
> call.

This calls for power measurements and analysis which may demonstrate
whether such a change is beneficial or not (and if yes, how much, and
under which workloads/setups).

Sadly I don't have the equipment to perform those measurements, which
I think are imperative to justify such a patch: IMHO the commit log
must include numbers...

Again, Rafael and Alan, thanks for your time and attention.

Ohad.