Re: commit mmc: sdhci: add MMC_CAP_8_BIT_DATA in the host

On Oct 31, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 16:01 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 05:47 -0700, Philip Rakity wrote:
>>> eMMC unlike SD does not have a field to inside the card data to say the bit width of the card.
>>> In addition some mmc cards (from Transcend) only support 1 bit mode.  The physical pins to support 4 bit data are not there as well as no card specific data saying the bus width of the card.
>>>
>>> The only solution is to probe the bus by sending a CMD19 and CMD14 (BUSTEST_W/BUSTEST_R).
>>> This procedure is defined in the JEDEC Standard No. 84-A441 spec -- Annex A.8.3 and this has been working in our linux 2.6.28/2.6.29 for quite a while.   I can submit a patch if this makes sense.
>>> However, it may not work all the time; some controllers do not send out the CMD19 sequence.  The  (BUSTEST_W/BUSTEST_R) procedure is used in BSD. Also, in SD v3.0 CMD19 is defined for tuning and its definition is slightly different then in the JEDEC standard.
>>>
>>> One option for the problem you are seeing would be for my patch
>>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/3966
>>> or something like it to be accepted.   As well as adding the bustest procedure.
>>>
>>> At least the board specific data can then say 8 bit data lines are supported on the physical slot.  The controller can say 8 bit works but normally does not have knowledge of the lower level board design.
>>
>> I see two solutions to this problem which you proposed above:
>>
>> 1. Allow the controller to tell host that it doesn't support 8-bit.
>> However, what about generic sdhci controllers? These that don't have
>> quirks in sdhci.c. Are there any desktop sdhci controllers that support
>> 8-bit. Note that SDHCI controllers are primary for SD/SDHCI cards not
>> MMC. I don't know if extra pins have same locations on SD and MMC cards.

The quirk I defined ENABLES 8 bit mode.  8 bit mode requires 4 additional data lines be brought out and the chips are normally mounted on the board.  I am not aware of any 8 bit  SD/MMC cards that plug into a slot.

>> 2. Test the card for being readable.
>>
>> In memstick subsystem I recently had a lot of expirence with
>> (unfortunately its maintainer isn't easy to work with - probably
>> underestimation...)
>>
>> It should be possible to set bus width and then just test the card for
>> being readable. While I don't yet know MMC spec and meaning of the
>> commands, I thing sending an ordinary command like reading card ID,
>> or something like that would suffiece to see if it accepts the bus
>> width. If such command fails, 4-bit bus width should be used.

In my testing setting the bus width to 4 bits when the physical card only supports 1 bit works.   Need to test the bus width.