Re: [patch] sdhci-pltfm: add call back function

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 09:06:57AM +0800, Eric Miao wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Wolfram Sang <w.sang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 04:52:06AM -0400, zhangfei gao wrote:
> >> Add several call back to sdhci-pltfm.c, help give suggestion
> >
> > Just formal things, without looking at the code yet.
> >
> > Make seperate patches out of these, everyone with a proper description.
> >
> >> 1. struct sdhci_host *(*alloc_host)(struct device *dev), since
> >> specific driver need some private variable to allocate and free,
> >> including clk.
> >> 2. unsigned int  (*get_quirk)(struct sdhci_host *host); add this
> >> because one driver may serve several device, each one may require
> >> different quirk, and specific driver is right one to know.
> >> 3. void (*set_max_speed)(struct sdhci_host *host); this should be done
> >> after add_host, which impact f_max.
> >> 4. int (*init)(struct sdhci_host *host, struct sdhci_pltfm_data
> >> *pdata, void* priv_pdata); copy from Wolfram Sang's patch to transfer
> >> platform data, copy here for test.
> >

> Just a rough idea, considering the potential differences (I believe
> there will be
> more in the future) between the SDHCI of different SoCs, would it make more
> sense to make sdhci-pltfm.c as a common function library for sdhci-<soc>.c?

Yeah, I think Alan Cox mentioned this idea, too. My guess is that it
will be well received, if somebody actually does it ;) Up to that point,
it probably makes sense to keep redundancy low by the means we have
today, i.e. pltfm. That should help a later migration process.

Regards,

   Wolfram

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |