Re: hugepage compaction causes performance drop

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:06:46AM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 11/20/2015 10:33 AM, Aaron Lu wrote:

> >>No problem.

> >>Is a one time /proc/zoneinfo enough or also a periodic one?
> >
> >Please see attached, note that this is a new run so the perf profile is
> >a little different.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Aaron
>
> Thanks.
>
> DMA32 is a bit sparse:
>
> Node 0, zone    DMA32
>   pages free     62829
>         min      327
>         low      408
>         high     490
>         scanned  0
>         spanned  1044480
>         present  495951
>         managed  479559
>
> Since the other zones are much larger, probably this is not the
> culprit. But tracepoints should tell us more. I have a theory that
> updating free scanner's cached pfn doesn't happen if it aborts due
> to need_resched() during isolate_freepages(), before hitting a valid
> pageblock, if the zone has a large hole in it. But zoneinfo doesn't

Today, I revisit this issue and yes, I think that your theory is
right. isolate_freepages() will not update cached pfn until call
isolate_freepages_block(). So, if there are many holes or many
unmovable pageblocks or !isolation_suitable() pageblocks, cached pfn
will not updated if compaction aborts due to need_resched(). zoneinfo
shows that there is not much holes so I guess that this problem is caused
by latter two cases.

It is better to update cached pfn in these cases. Although I don't see
your solution yet, I guess it will help here.

Thanks.