Re: Memory exhaustion testing?

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:54:37 -0800 (PST) David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]  This is why
> failslab had been used in the past, and does a good job at runtime
> testing.

Thanks for mentioning CONFIG_FAILSLAB.  First I disregarded
"failslab" (I did notice it in the slub code) because it didn't
exercised the code path I wanted in kmem_cache_alloc_bulk().

But went to looking up the config setting I notice that we do have a
hole section for "Fault-injection".  Which is great, and what I was
looking for.

Menu config Location:
 -> Kernel hacking
  -> Fault-injection framework (FAULT_INJECTION [=y])

I think what I need can be covered by FAIL_PAGE_ALLOC, or should_fail_alloc_page().
I'll try and play a bit with it...

- -
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  Author of http://www.iptv-analyzer.org

[*] Fault-injection framework
[*]   Fault-injection capability for kmalloc
[*]   Fault-injection capabilitiy for alloc_pages()
[ ]   Fault-injection capability for disk IO
[ ]   Fault-injection capability for faking disk interrupts
[ ]   Fault-injection capability for futexes
[*]   Debugfs entries for fault-injection capabilities