Re: can't oom-kill zap the victim's memory?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> Yes we should try to do this in the OOM killer context, and in this case
> (of course) we need trylock. Let me quote my previous email:
>
> 	And we want to avoid using workqueues when the caller can do this
> 	directly. And in this case we certainly need trylock. But this needs
> 	some refactoring: we do not want to do this under oom_lock, otoh it
> 	makes sense to do this from mark_oom_victim() if current && killed,
> 	and a lot more details.
>
> and probably this is another reason why do we need MMF_MEMDIE. But again,
> I think the initial change should be simple.

I agree with the direction and I don't think it would be too complex to
have a dedicated kthread that is kicked when we queue an mm to do
MADV_DONTNEED behavior, and have that happen only if a trylock in
oom_kill_process() fails to do it itself for anonymous mappings.  We may
have different opinions of simplicity.