Re: Is it OK to pass non-acquired objects to kfree?

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:55:35AM +0200, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:

>> > Could I get a clear definiton as to what exactly is positive? Was this
>> > using SLAB, SLUB or SLOB?

>> > Actually SLUB contains a barrier already in kfree(). Has to be there
>> > because of the way the per cpu pointer is being handled.
>>
>> The positive was reporting of data races in the following code:
>>
>> // kernel/pid.c
>>          if ((atomic_read(&pid->count) == 1) ||
>>               atomic_dec_and_test(&pid->count)) {
>>                  kmem_cache_free(ns->pid_cachep, pid);
>>                  put_pid_ns(ns);
>>          }
>>
>> //drivers/tty/tty_buffer.c
>> while ((next = buf->head->next) != NULL) {
>>      tty_buffer_free(port, buf->head);
>>      buf->head = next;
>> }
>>
>> Namely, the tool reported data races between usage of the object in
>> other threads before they released the object and kfree.
>>
>> I am not sure why we are so concentrated on details like SLAB vs SLUB
>> vs SLOB or cache coherency protocols. This looks like waste of time to
>> me. General kernel code should not be safe only when working with SLxB
>> due to current implementation details of SLxB, it should be safe
>> according to memory allocator contract. And this contract seem to be:
>> memory allocator can do arbitrary reads and writes to the object
>> inside of kmalloc and kfree.
>
> The reason we poked at this was to see if any of SLxB touched the
> memory being freed.  If none of them touched the memory being freed,
> and if that was a policy, then the idiom above would be legal.  However,
> one of them does touch the memory being freed, so, yes, the above code
> needs to be fixed.

No. The object can be instantly reallocated and user can write to the
object. Consider:

if (READ_ONCE(p->free))
  kfree(p);
y = kmalloc(8);
// assuming p's size is 8, y is most likely equal to p and there are
no barriers on the kmalloc fast path
*(void**)y = 0;

This is equivalent to kmalloc writing to the object in this respect.