Re: 答复: [BUG REPORT] OOM Killer is invoked while the system still has much memory

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015, Xuzhichuang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your replying.
>
> According to the OOM message, OOM killer is invoked by the function seq_read, I found two patches in the latest kernel which can be avoid or fixed this problem.
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/fs/seq_file.c?id=058504edd02667eef8fac9be27ab3ea74332e9b4
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/fs/seq_file.c?id=5cec38ac866bfb8775638e71a86e4d8cac30caae
>
> As the patches said, it changed the seq_file code fallback to vmalloc allocations if kmalloc failed, instead of OOM kill processes.

Yes, we use those two patches as well internally.  You may want to give
them a try if this is the only source of oom killer issues, but keep in
mind that other subsystems like the tcp layer will often do high-order
allocations as well.  If you can free up some of that ZONE_DMA memory that
is unneeded with lowmem_reserve_ratio, you might get a little more room.

Good luck!