Re: [patch 1/2] mm: remove GFP_THISNODE

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> > Do you see any issues with either patch 1/2 or patch 2/2 besides the
> > s/GFP_TRANSHUGE/GFP_THISNODE/ that is necessary on the changelog?
>
> Well, my point is, what if the node we are explicitly trying to allocate
> hugepage on, is in fact not allowed by our cpuset? This could happen in the page
> fault case, no? Although in a weird configuration when process can (and really
> gets scheduled to run) on a node where it is not allowed to allocate from...

If the process is running a node that is not allowed by the cpuset, then
alloc_hugepage_vma() now fails with VM_FAULT_FALLBACK.  That was the
intended policy change of commit 077fcf116c8c ("mm/thp: allocate
transparent hugepages on local node").

 [ alloc_hugepage_vma() should probably be using numa_mem_id() instead for
   memoryless node platforms. ]