Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] async buffered diskio read for userspace apps

On 01/23/2015 04:15 PM, Steve French wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Milosz Tanski <milosz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 08:31:27AM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
I didn't look at your code yet, but I'm assuming it's a self
contained IO engine. So we should be able to make that work, by only
linking the engine itself against libsmbclient. But sheesh, what a
pain in the butt, why can't we just all be friends.

The published libsmbclient API misses the async features
that are needed here. Milosz needs to go lower-level.

Volker

Volker, the sync code path works; in fact I pushed some minor
corrections to my branch this morning. And for now using FIO I can
generate multiple clients (threads / processes).

I started working on the async features (SMB2 async read/write) for
client library the samba repo. There's a patch there for the first
step of it it there; see the other email I sent to you and Jeremy. I
was going to make sure it licensed under whatever it needs to get into
the samba repo... and since this is done on my own time I personally
don't care what license it's under provided it's not a PITA.

Why not do the async read/write via the kernel client if the license
is an issue?  It already has async SMB2/SMB3 operations
(with a synchronous send/receive-like wrapper).

The license issue has been solved. Fio is cross platform, so would be preferable to have this work through libsmbclient, if at all possible.

--
Jens Axboe