Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC ATTEND]

Hello everyone,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 03:28:04PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> Instead we shouldn't pretend that GFP_KERNEL is basically GFP_NOFAIL.
> The question is how to get there without too many regressions IMHO.
> Or maybe we should simply bite a bullet and don't be cowards and simply
> deal with bugs as they come. If something really cannot deal with the
> failure it should tell that by a proper flag.

Not related to memcg but related to GFP_NOFAIL behavior, a couple of
months ago while stress testing some code I've been working on, I run
into several OOM livelocks which may be the same you're reporting here
and I reliably fixed those (at least for my load) so I could keep
going with my work. I didn't try to submit these changes yet, but this
discussion rings a bell... so I'm sharing my changes below in this
thread in case it may help:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git/commit/?id=00e91f97df9861454f7e0701944d7de2c382ffb9
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git/commit/?id=a0fcf2323b2e4cffd750c1abc1d2c138acdefcc8
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git/commit/?id=798b7f9d549664f8c0007c6416a2568eedd75d6a