kernel mem_map reservation with hugepages

Hi,

According to this page about 1.36% of the system memory is reserved to mem_map (I confirmed it before in the code – I saw that the kernel indeed saves a struct of 65 bytes for each page, meaning 63 structs per page).

I have a server (CentOS6) with 256GB of RAM,  so it means that the kernel reserves about 4GB for mem_map.

Most of the pages in my server are hugepages, using the kernel command line argument “hugepages=X”.

I believe this means that the kernel can reserve a much smaller amount of memory for the mappings – since there are much less pages (i.e. if all pages are huges it can reserve 8MB instead of 4GB).

Am I right?

Any suggestions if and how it can be done?

Thanks,

Amitai