Re: [RFC] Heterogeneous memory management (mirror process address space on a device mmu).

On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 15:00 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 07:33:07PM -0700, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
>
> > So I've been running benchmarks (mostly aim7, which nicely exercises our
> > locks) comparing my recent v4 for rwsem optimistic spinning against
> > previous implementation ideas for the anon-vma lock, mostly:
>
> > - rwlock_t
> > - qrwlock_t
>
> Which reminds me; can you provide the numbers for rwlock_t vs qrwlock_t
> in a numeric form so I can include them in the qrwlock_t changelog.

Ah, right. I was lazy and just showed you the graphs.

> That way I can queue those patches for inclusion, I think we want a fair
> rwlock_t if we can show (and you graphs do iirc) that it doesn't cost us
> performance.

I agree, fairness is much welcome here. And I agree that despite my good
numbers, and that we should keep the anon vma lock as a rwsem, its still
worth merging the qrwlock stuff. I'll cookup my regular numeric table
today.

Thanks,
Davidlohr