Re: [patch 00/10] mm: thrash detection-based file cache sizing v9

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 03:14:24PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon,  3 Feb 2014 19:53:32 -0500 Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > o Fix vmstat build problems on UP (Fengguang Wu's build bot)
> >
> > o Clarify why optimistic radix_tree_node->private_list link checking
> >   is safe without holding the list_lru lock (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Assert locking balance when the list_lru isolator says it dropped
> >   the list lock (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Remove remnant of a manual reclaim counter in the shadow isolator,
> >   the list_lru-provided accounting is accurate now that we added
> >   LRU_REMOVED_RETRY (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Set an object limit for the shadow shrinker instead of messing with
> >   its seeks setting.  The configured seeks define how pressure applied
> >   to pages translates to pressure on the object pool, in itself it is
> >   not enough to replace proper object valuation to classify expired
> >   and in-use objects.  Shadow nodes contain up to 64 shadow entries
> >   from different/alternating zones that have their own atomic age
> >   counter, so determining if a node is overall expired is crazy
> >   expensive.  Instead, use an object limit above which nodes are very
> >   likely to be expired.
> >
> > o __pagevec_lookup and __find_get_pages kerneldoc fixes (Minchan Kim)
> >
> > o radix_tree_node->count accessors for pages and shadows (Minchan Kim)
> >
> > o Rebase to v3.14-rc1 and add review tags
>
> An earlier version caused a 24-byte inode bloatage.  That appears to
> have been reduced to 8 bytes, yes?  What was done there?

Instead of inodes, the shrinker now directly tracks radix tree nodes
that contain only shadow entries.  So the 16 bytes for the list_head
are now in struct radix_tree_node, but due to different slab packing
it didn't increase memory consumption.

> > 69 files changed, 1438 insertions(+), 462 deletions(-)
>
> omigod

Most of it is comments and Minchan's accessor functions.