Re: [RFC] shmgetfd idea

On 01/28/2014 12:37 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 11:56 AM, John Stultz wrote:
>> Thanks for reminding me about O_TMPFILE.. I have it on my list to look
>> into how it could be used.
>>
>> As for the O_TMPFILE only tmpfs option, it seems maybe a little clunky
>> to me, but possible. If others think this would be preferred over a new
>> syscall, I'll dig in deeper.
>>
> What is clunky about it?  It reuses an existing interface and still
> points to the specific tmpfs instance that should be populated.

It would require new mount point convention that userland would have to
standardize.  To me (and admittedly its a taste thing), a new
O_TMPFILE-only tmpfs mount point seems to be to be a bigger interface
change from an application writers perspective then a new syscall.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion?

thanks
-john