Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM ATTEND, TOPIC] memcg topics and user defined oom policies

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 13:23 -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Michal Hocko wrote:
>
> > David was proposing memory reserves for memcg userspace OOM handlers.
> > I found the idea interesting at first but I am getting more and more
> > skeptical about fully supporting oom handling from within under-oom
> > group usecase. Google is using this setup and we should discuss what is
> > the best approach longterm because the same thing can be achieved by a
> > proper memcg hierarchy as well.
> >
> > While we are at memcg OOM it seems that we cannot find an easy consensus
> > on when is the line when the userspace should be notified about OOM [1].
> >
> > I would also like to continue discussing user defined OOM policies.
> > The last attempt to resurrect the discussion [2] ended up without any
> > strong conclusion but there seem to be some opposition against direct
> > handling of the global OOM from userspace as being too subtle and
> > dangerous. Also using memcg interface doesn't seem to be welcome warmly.
> > This leaves us with either loadable modules approach or a generic filter
> > mechanism which haven't been discussed that much. Or something else?
> > I hope we can move forward finally.
> >

> Google is interested in this topic and has been the main motivation for
> userspace oom handlers; we would like to attend for this discussion.
>
> David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>, systems software, senior staff
> Kamil Yurtsever <kyurtsever@xxxxxxxxxx>, systems software

OK, so please don't do this.  Please send in Topic/attend requests as
per the CFP.  Doing this gives us no way to judge the merits of the
request and, administratively, it gets lost because the way I populate
the attendance request table is to filter on the topic/attend requests
and then fold the threads up to the head.

Please send in one separate topic/attend email authored by the person
who wants to attend.

Thanks,

James