Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] Stackable Union Filesystem Implementation

Saket Sinha:
> Several implementations of union file system fusion were evaluated.
> The results of the evaluation is shown at the below link-
> http://www.4shared.com/download/7IgHqn4tce/1_online.png

As far as I know, aufs supports NFS branches and also you can export
aufs via NFS.
For example,
http://sourceforge.net/p/aufs/mailman/message/20639513/

> 2. if only the file metadata are modified, then do not
> copy the whole file on the read-write files system but
> only the metadata (stored with a file named as the file
> itself prefixed by '.me.')

Once I have considered such approach to implement it in aufs.
But I don't think it a good idea to store metadata in multiple places,
one in the original file and the other is in .me. file.
For such purpose, a "block device level union" (instead of filesystem
level union) may be an option for you, such as "dm snapshot".

J. R. Okajima