Re: Help about calculating total memory consumption during booting

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I know about top, but top does not help much in arriving at the total memory consumption.

I need the physical memory usage breakup of each process during bootup, with a segregate of user and kernel allocation.

1) If I add up all "Pss" field in "proc/<PID>/smaps, do I get the total Used memory?
2) Is the Pss value includes the kernel side allocation as well?
3) What fields I should choose from /proc/meminfo" to correctly arrive at the "Used" memory in the system?
4) What about the memory allocation for kernel threads during booting? Why does its Pss/Rss value shows 0 always

I already tried adding up all "PSS" values in every PIDs, but still it does not match any where near to the total used memory in the system.

Please help.

Thanks,
Pintu