Re: [patch] mm, mempolicy: make mpol_to_str robust and always succeed

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Dave Jones wrote:

>  >  	case MPOL_BIND:
>  > -		/* Fall through */
>  >  	case MPOL_INTERLEAVE:
>  >  		nodes = pol->v.nodes;
>  >  		break;
>
> Any reason not to leave this ?
>
> "missing break" is the 2nd most common thing that coverity picks up.
> Most of them are false positives like the above, but the lack of annotations
> in our source makes it time-consuming to pick through them all to find the
> real bugs.

Check out things like drivers/mfd/wm5110-tables.c that do things like

	switch (reg) {
	case ARIZONA_SOFTWARE_RESET:
	case ARIZONA_DEVICE_REVISION:
	case ARIZONA_CTRL_IF_SPI_CFG_1:
	case ARIZONA_CTRL_IF_I2C1_CFG_1:
	case ARIZONA_CTRL_IF_I2C2_CFG_1:
	case ARIZONA_CTRL_IF_I2C1_CFG_2:
	case ARIZONA_CTRL_IF_I2C2_CFG_2:

and that file has over 1,000 case statements.  Having a

	/* fall through */

for all of them would be pretty annoying.

I don't remember any coding style rule about this (in fact
Documentation/CodingStyle has examples of case statements without such a
comment), I think it's just personal preference so I'll leave it to Andrew
and what he prefers.

(And if he prefers the /* fall through */ then we should ask that it be
added to checkpatch.pl since it warns about a million other things and not
this.)