Re: Possible deadloop in direct reclaim?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:19:53PM -0700, Lisa Du wrote:
> >fork alloc order-1 memory for stack. Where and why alloc order-2? If it is
> >arch specific code, please
> >contact arch maintainer.
> Yes arch do_fork allocate order-2 memory when copy_process.
> Hi, Russel
> What's your opinion about this question?
> If we really need order-2 memory for fork, then we'd better set
> CONFIG_COMPATION right?

Well, I gave up trying to read the original messages because the quoting
style is a total mess, so I don't have a full understanding of what the
issue is.

However, we have always required order-2 memory for fork, going back to
the 1.x kernel days - it's fundamental to ARM to have that.  The order-2
allocation os for the 1st level page table.  No order-2 allocation, no
page tables for the new thread.

Looking at this commit:

commit 05106e6a54aed321191b4bb5c9ee09538cbad3b1