Re: Change soft-dirty interface?

>>> Except pid part. It is added by your purpose, which external task
>>> can control any process.

In CRIU we can work with pid-less syscalls just fine :) So extending regular
madvise would work.

>>> Good point I didn't think over that.
>>> A simple idea popped from my mind is we can use read/write lock
>>> so if pid is equal to calling process's one or pid is NULL,
>>> we use read side lock, which can allow marking soft-dirty
>>> several vmas with parallel. And pid is not equal to calling
>>> process's one, the API should try to hold write-side lock
>>> then, if it's fail, the API should return EAGAIN so that CRIU
>>> can progress other processes and retry it after a while.
>>> Of course, it would make live-lock so that sys_softdirty might
>>> need another argument like "int block".
>>
>> And we need a flag to show SELF_SOFT_DIRTY or EXTERNAL_SOFT_DIRTY
>> and the flag will be protected by above lock. It could prevent mixed
>> case by self and external.
>
> I realized it's not enough. Another idea is here.
> The intenion is followin as,
>
> self softdirty VS self softdirty -> NOT exclusive
> self softdirty VS external softdirty -> exclusive
> external softdirty VS external softdirty-> excluisve

I think it might work for us. However, I have two comments to the
implementation, please see below.

> struct softdirty token {
>         u64 external;
>         u64 internal;
> };
>
>        int sys_set_softdirty(pid_t pid, unsigned long start, size_t len,
>                                 struct softdirty *token);
>        int sys_get_softdirty(pid_t pid, unsigned long start, size_t len,
>                                 struct softdirty token, char *vec);

Can you please show an example how to use these two, I don't quite get how
can I do external soft-dirty tracking in atomic manner.

> SYSCALL(set_softdirty, ..., token)
> {
>         struct task_struct *tsk = task_from_pid(pid);
>         mutex_lock(&mm->st_lock);
>         if (tsk == current)
>                 tsk->mm->token.internal++;
>         else
>                 tsk->mm->token.external++;
>         token->external = mm->token.external;
>         token->internal = mm->token.internal;
>         mutex_unlock(&mm->st_lock);
>         ..
>         ..
>
> }
>
> SYSCALL(get_softdirty, ..., token, ...)
> {
>         struct task_struct *tsk = task_from_pid(pid);
>         mutex_lock(&mm->st_lock);
>         if (tsk == current) {
>                 if (tsk->mm->token.external != token.external) {
>                         mutex_unlock
>                         return -EAGAIN;
>                 }
>         } else {
>                 if (tsk->mm->token.external != token.external ||
>                     tsk->mm->token.internal != token.internal) {
>                         mutex_unlock;
>                         return -EAGAIN;
>                 }
>         }
>         mutex_unlock(&mm->st_lock);

Presumably the critical section should be longer, as if tokens match and we
release the lock and proceed with working on pagemap, the concurrent call
to set_softdirty can proceed and spoil the picture.