Re: TLB and PTE coherency during munmap

On 05/29/2013 05:57 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:10:25AM +0400, Max Filippov wrote:
>> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hello arch and mm people.
>>>
>>> Is it intentional that threads of a process that invoked munmap syscall
>>> can see TLB entries pointing to already freed pages, or it is a bug?
>>>
>>> I'm talking about zap_pmd_range and zap_pte_range:
>>>
>>>       zap_pmd_range
>>>         zap_pte_range
>>>           arch_enter_lazy_mmu_mode
>>>             ptep_get_and_clear_full
>>>             tlb_remove_tlb_entry
>>>             __tlb_remove_page
>>>           arch_leave_lazy_mmu_mode
>>>         cond_resched
>>>
>>> With the default arch_{enter,leave}_lazy_mmu_mode, tlb_remove_tlb_entry
>>> and __tlb_remove_page there is a loop in the zap_pte_range that clears
>>> PTEs and frees corresponding pages, but doesn't flush TLB, and
>>> surrounding loop in the zap_pmd_range that calls cond_resched. If a thread
>>> of the same process gets scheduled then it is able to see TLB entries
>>> pointing to already freed physical pages.
>>>
>>> I've noticed that with xtensa arch when I added a test before returning to
>>> userspace checking that TLB contents agrees with page tables of the
>>> current mm. This check reliably fires with the LTP test mtest05 that
>>> maps, unmaps and accesses memory from multiple threads.
>>>
>>> Is there anything wrong in my description, maybe something specific to
>>> my arch, or this issue really exists?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've made similar checking function for MIPS (because qemu is my only choice
>> and it simulates MIPS TLB) and ran my tests on mips-malta machine in qemu.
>> With MIPS I can also see this issue. I hope I did it right, the patch at the
>> bottom is for the reference. The test I run and the diagnostic output are as
>> follows:
>>
>> To me it looks like the cond_resched in the zap_pmd_range is the root cause
>> of this issue (let alone SMP case for now). It was introduced in the commit
>>
>> commit 97a894136f29802da19a15541de3c019e1ca147e
>> Author: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Tue May 24 17:12:04 2011 -0700
>>
>>     mm: Remove i_mmap_lock lockbreak
>>
>> Peter, Kamezawa, other reviewers of that commit, could you please comment?
>
> Are you all running UP systems? I suppose the preemptible muck
> invalidated the assumption that UP systems are 'easy'.
>
> If you make tlb_fast_mode() return an unconditional false, does it all
> work again?

It seems tlb_fast_mode() only affects the page free batching and won't affect the
TLB flush themselves unless ofcourse the batching runs out of space.

FWIW, prior to your commit d16dfc550f5326 "mm: mmu_gather rework"
tlb_finish_mmu() right before the need_resced() which would have handled the
current situation. My proposal - please see my earlier email in thread is to reuse
the force_flush logic in zap_pte_range() to do this.

-Vineet