Re: memcg: softlimit on internal nodes

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue 23-04-13 14:17:22, Glauber Costa wrote:

>> > I don't like your argument that soft limits work if you only set them
>> > on leaves. To me this is just a fancy way of saying that hierarchical
>> > soft limits don't work.
>> >
>> > Also it is somewhat problematic to assume that important memory can
>> > easily be placed in leaves. This is difficult to ensure when
>> > subcontainer destruction, for example, moves the memory back into the
>> > parent.
>> >

>> Michal,
>>
>> For the most part, I am siding with you in this discussion.
>> But with this only-in-leaves thing, I am forced to flip (at least for this).
>>
>> You are right when you say that in a configuration with A being parent
>> of B and C, A being over its hard limit will affect reclaim in B and C,
>> and soft limits should work the same.
>>
>> However, "will affect reclaim" is a big vague. More specifically, if the
>> sum of B and C's hard limit is smaller or equal A's hard limit, the only
>> way of either B or C to trigger A's hard limit is for them, themselves,
>> to go over their hard limit.
>
> Which is an expectation that you cannot guarantee. You can have B+C>A.
>
>> *This* is the case you you are breaking when you try to establish a
>> comparison between soft and hard limits - which is, per se, sane.
>>
>> Translating this to the soft limit speech, if the sum of B and C's soft
>> limit is smaller or equal A's soft limit, and one of them is over the
>> soft limit, that one should be reclaimed. The other should be left alone.
>
> And yet again. Nothing will prevent you from setting B+C>A. Sure if you
> configure your hierarchy sanely then everything will just work.

Let's all stop using words such as "sanely" and "work" since we don't
see to agree on how they apply here :)

The issue I see is that even when people configure soft limits B+C <
A, your current proposal still doesn't "leave the other alone" as
Glauber and I think we should.

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
A program is never fully debugged until the last user dies.