Summary of LSF-MM Volatile Ranges Discussion

Just wanted to send out this quick summary of the Volatile Ranges discussion at LSF-MM.

Again, this is my recollection and perspective of the discussion, and while I'm trying to also provide Minchan's perspective on some of the problems as best I can, there likely may be details that were misunderstood, or mis-remembered. So if I've gotten anything wrong, please step in and reply to correct me. :)

Prior to the discussion, I sent out some background and discussion plans which you can read here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/98676

First of all, we quickly reviewed the generalized use cases and proposed interfaces:

1) madvise style interface:
	mvrange(start_addr, length, mode, flags, &purged)

2) fadvise/fallocate style interface:
	fvrange(fd, start_off, length, mode, flags, &purged)

Also noting (per the background summary) the desired semantics for volatile ranges on files is that the volatility is shared (just like the data is), thus we need to store that volatility off of the address_space. Thus only one process needs to mark the open file pages as volatile for them to be purged.

Where as with anonymous memory, we really want to store the volatility off of the mm_struct (in some way), and only if all the processes that map a page consider it volatile, do purging.

I tried to quickly describe the issue that as performance is a concern, we want the action of marking and umarking of volatile ranges to be as fast as possible. This is of particular concern to Minchan and his ebizzy test case, as taking the mmap_sem hurts performance too much.

However, this strong performance concern causes some complexity in the madvise style interface, as since a volatile range could cross both anonymous and file pages.

Particularly the question of "What happens if a user calls mvrange() over MMAP_SHARED file pages?". I think we should push that volatility down into the file volatility, but to do this we have to walk the vmas and take the mmap_sem, which hurts Minchan's use case too drastically.

Minchan had earlier proposed having a VOLATILE_ANON | VOLATILE_FILE | VOLATILE_BOTH mode flag, where we'd skip traversing the vmas in the VOLATILE_ANON case, just adding the range to the process. Where as VOLATILE_FILE or VOLATILE_BOTH we'd do the traversing.

However, there is still the problem of the case where someone marks VOLATILE_ANON on mapped file pages. In this case, I'd expect we'd report an error, however, in order to detect the error case, we'd have to still traverse the vmas (otherwise we can't know if the range covers files or not), which again would be too costly. And to me, Minchan's suggestion of not providing an error on this case, seemed a bit too unintuitive for a public interface.

The morning of the discussion, I realized we could instead of thinking of volatility only on anonymous and file pages, we could instead think of volatility as shared or private, much as file mappings are.

This would allow for the same functional behavior of Minchan's VOLATILE_ANON vs VOLATILE_FILE modes, but instead we'd have VOLATILE_PRIVATE and VOLATILE_SHARED. And only in the VOLATILE_SHARED case would we need to traverse the VMAs in order to make sure that any file backed pages had the volatility added to their address_space. And private volatility on files would then not be considered an error mode, so we could avoid having to do the scan to validate the input.

Minchan seemed to be in agreement with this concept. Though when I asked for reactions from the folks in the room, it seemed to be mostly tepid agreement mixed maybe with a bit of confusion.

One issue raised was the concern that by keeping the private/anonymous volatility state separately from the VMAs might cause cases where things got "out-of-sync". For instance, if a range is marked volatile, then say some pages are unmapped or a hole is punched in that range and other pages are mapped in, what are the semantics of the resulting volatility? Is the volatility inherited to future ranges? The example was given of mlock, where a range can be locked, but should any new pages be mapped into that range, the new pages are not locked. In other words, only the pages mapped at that time are affected by the call to mlock.

Stumped by this, I agreed that was a fair critique we hadn't considered, and that the in current implementation any new mappings in an existing volatile range would be considered volatile, and that is inconsistent with existing precedent.

It was pointed out that we could also make sure that on any unmapping or new mapping that we clear the private/anonymous volatility, and that might keep things in sync. and still allowing for the fast non-vma traversing calls to mark and unmark voltile ranges. But we'll have to look into that.

It was also noted that vmas are specifically designed to manage ranges of memory, so it seemed maybe a bit duplicative to have a separate tree tracking volatile ranges. And again we discussed the performance impact of taking the mmap_sem and traversing the vmas, and how avoiding that is particularly important to Minchan's use case.

I also noted that one difficulty with the earlier approach that did use vmas was that for volatile ranges on files (ie: shared volatile mappings), there are no similar shared vma type structure for files. Thus its nice to be able to use the same volatile root structure to store volatile ranges on both the private per-process(well, per-mm_struct) and shared per-inode/address_space basis. Otherwise the code paths for anonymous and file volatility have to be significantly different, which would make it more complex to understand and maintain.

At this point, it was asked if the shared-volatility semantics on the shared mapped file is actually desired. And if instead we could keep file volatility in the vmas, only purging should every process that maps that file agree that the page is volatile.

The problem with this, as I see it is that it is inconsistent with the semantics of shared mapped files. If a file is mapped by multiple processes, and zeros are written to that file by one processes, all the processes will see this change and they need to coordinate access if such a change would be problematic. In the case of volatility, when we purge pages, the kernel is in-effect doing this on-behalf of the process that marked the range volatile. It just is a delayed action and can be canceled (by the process that marks it volatile, or by any other process with that range mapped). I re-iterated the example of a large circular buffer in a shared file, which is initialized as entirely volatile. Then a producer process would mark a region after the head as non-volatile, then fill it with data. And a consumer process, then consumes data from the tail, and mark those consumed ranges as volatile.

It was pointed out that the same could maybe be done by both processes marking the entire range, except what is between the current head and tail as volatile each iteration. So while pages wouldn't be truly volatile right after they were consumed, eventually the producer would run (well, hopefully) and update its view of volatility so that it agreed with the consumer with respect to those pages.

I noted that first of all, the shared volatility is needed to match the Android ashmem semantics. So there's at least an existing user. And that while this method pointed out could be used, I still felt it is fairly awkward, and again inconsistent with how shared mapped files normally behave. After all, applications could "share" file data by coordinating such that they all writing the same data to their own private mapping, but that loses much of the usefulness of shared mappings (to be fair, I didn't have such a sharp example at the time of the discussion, but its the same point I rambled around). Thus I feel having shared volatility for file pages is similarly useful.

It was also asked about the volatility semantics would be for non-mapped files, given the fvrange() interface could be used there. In that case, I don't have a strong opinion. If mvrange can create shared volatile ranges on mmaped files, I'm fine leaving fvrange() out. There may be an in-kerenl equivalent of fvrange() to make it easier to support Android's ashmem, but volatility on non-mmapped files doesn't seem like it would be too useful to me. But I'd probably want to go with what would be least surprising to users.

It was hard to gauge the overall reaction in the room at this point. There was some assorted nodding by various folks who seemed to be following along and positive of the basic approach. There were also some less positive confused squinting that had me worried.

With time running low, Minchan reminded me that the shrinker was on the to-be-discussed list. Basically earlier versions of my patch used a shrinker to trigger range purging, and this was critiqued because shrinkers were numa-unaware, and might cause bad behavior where we might purge lots of ranges on a node that isn't under any memory pressure if one node is under pressure. However, using normal LRU page eviction doesn't work for volatile ranges, as with swapless systems, we don't LRU age/evict anonymous memory.

Minchan's patch currently does two approaches, where it can use the normal LRU eviction to trigger purging, but it also uses a shrinker to force anonymous pages onto a page list which can then be evicted in vmscan. This allows purging of anonymous pages when swapless, but also allows the normal eviction process to work.

This brought up lots of discussion around what the ideal method would be. Since because the marking and unmarking of pages as volatile has to be done quickly, so we cannot iterate over pages at mark/unmark time creating a new list. Aging and evicting all anonymous memory on swapless systems also seems wasteful.

Ideally, I think we'd purge pages from volatile ranges in the global LRU eviction order. This would hopefully avoid purging data when we see lots of single-use streaming data.

Minchan however seems to feel volatile data should be purged earlier then other pages, since they're a source of easily free-able memory (I've also argued for this in the past, but have since changed my mind). So he'd like a way to pruge pages earlier, and unfortunately the shrinker runs later then he'd like.

It was noted that there are now patches to make the shrinkers numa aware, so the older complains might be solvable. But still the issue of shrinkers having their own eviction logic separate from the global LRU is less then ideal to me.

It was past time, and there didn't seem to be much consensus or resolution on this issue, so we had to leave it there. That said, the volatile purging logic is up to the kernel, and can be tweaked as needed in the future, where as the basic interface semantics were more important to hash out, and I think I got mostly nodding on the majority of the interface issues.

Hopefully with the next patch iteration, we'll have things cleaned up a bit more and better unified between Minchn's and my approaches so further details can be concretely worked out on the list. It was also requested that a manpage document be provided with the next patch set, which I'll make a point to provide.

Thanks so much to Minchan, Kosaki-san, Hugh, Michel, Johannes, Greg, Michal, Glauber, and everyone else for providing an active discussion and great feedback despite my likely over-caffeinated verbal wanderings.

Thanks again,
-john