Re: [RFC 1/3] memcg: integrate soft reclaim tighter with zone shrinking code

On 04/14/2013 11:04 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
On Sun 14-04-13 10:55:32, Johannes Weiner wrote:

I think what Mel suggests is not to return the highest excessor, but
return the highest parent in the hierarchy that is in excess.  Once
you have this parent, you know that all children are in excess,
without looking them up individually.

OK, I see it now.

However, that parent is not necessarily the root of the hierarchy that
is being reclaimed and you might have multiple of such sub-hierarchies
in excess.  To handle all the corner cases, I'd expect the
relationship checking to get really complicated.

We could always return the leftmost and get to others as the iteration
continues. I will try to think about it some more. I do not think we
would save a lot but it looks like a neat idea.

We should probably gather around a whiteboard this week in
San Francisco, and figure out what exactly we want the code
to do, before figuring out the most efficient way to do it.

--
All rights reversed