Re: security: restricting access to swap

Cc experts Johannes, Hugh,
On 03/12/2013 07:57 AM, Luigi Semenzato wrote:
Greetings linux-mmers,

before we can fully deploy zram, we must ensure it conforms to the
Chrome OS security requirements.  In particular, we do not want to
allow user space to read/write the swap device---not even root-owned
processes.

A similar restriction is available for /dev/mem under CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM.

There are a few possible approaches to this, but before we go ahead
I'd like to ask if anything has happened or is planned in this
direction.

Otherwise, one idea I am playing with is to add a CONFIG_STRICT_SWAP
option that would do this for any swap device (i.e. not specific to
zram) and possibly also when swapping to a file.  We would add an
"internal" open flag, O_KERN_SWAP, as well as clean up a little bit
the FMODE_NONOTIFY confusion by adding the kernel flag O_KERN_NONOTIFY
and formalizing the sets of external (O_*) and internal (O_KERN_*)
open flags.

Swapon() and swapoff() would use O_KERN_SWAP internally, and a device
opened with that flag would reject user-level opens.

Thank you in advance for any input/suggestion!
Luigi