Re: OOM triggered with plenty of memory free

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Simon Jeons wrote:

> I read drivers/staging/android/lowmemorykiller.c, it seems that android's oom
> just care about oom_score/oom_score_adj exported in /proc which will lead to
> good user experience, but who will set these values if users playing android
> mobiles? Is there userspace monitor process will do it? If the answer is yes,
> then how it determines one process is important or not?

It's up to userspace to determine how to adjust oom priorities for
processes, whether you're using the Android low memory killer or the
kernel oom killer.  Many open source packages modify these values for
themselves directly, but any process can elevate the oom_score_adj value
for any other process making it more preferable for oom kill; processes
cannot lower oom_score_adj, itself included, unless it has the
SYS_RESOURCE capability.  Everything else is left to userspace since the
kernel has no knowledge of what is important and what is not.