Re: zcache+zram working together?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:47:32AM +0900, Kyungmin Park wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Minchan Kim <minchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Do you mean get_user_pages? Could you explain in details about the
> >> downside of CMA?
> >
> > Good question.
> >
> > 1. Ignore workingset.
> >    CMA can sweep out woring set pages in CMA area for getting contiguous
> >    memory.
> Theoritically agreed, but there's no data to prove this one.

CMA area is last fallback type for allocation and pages in that area would
be evicted out when we need contiguous memory. It means newly forked task's
pages would be likely in that area. newly task's pages would be fit into
working set category POV LRU. No?

> > 2. No guarantee of contigous memory area
> >    As I metioned, get_user_pages could pin the page so ends up failing
> >    migration.
> Right it's working item now, we have to guarantee these pages can't
> allocate from CMA area.

Good to hear. CMA's goal is to guarantee it.
If it can't, there is no point to use it. FYI, memory-hotplug people have
same problem and have tried to solve it and I wanted they should solve
CMA problem by their solution, too but not sure they do.
I'm looking forwading to seeing your elegant works.

> > 3. Latency
> >    CMA reclaims all pages in CMA area when we need it. It means sometime
> >    we should write out dirty pages so it could make big overhead POV latency.
> >    Even, unmapping of all pages from pte of all processes isn't trivial.
> It's trade off between requirement and performance. If feature is more
> important and need more memory, it can accept it

It depends on usecase and as you already know, many people want to use
CMA with small latency if possible. If CMA can't meet their latency
requirement, they might use reserved memory rather than CMA or use CMA
with some harmful jobs(ex, sync + drop_cache).
If kernel can provide better solution, they can avoid such things.

> > 4. Adding many hooks in MM code. - Personally, I really hate it.
>
> But there are cases to use CMA. e.g., DRM playback.
>
> We have to guarantee the physical contiguous memory for TrustZone
> solution at ARM.
> Without reseverd memory concept. there's no way to get physical
> congituous memory execpt CMA.

I don't get it.
I meant I don't like CONFIG_CMA hook under mm/.

> Thank you,
> Kyungmin Park
>

> > --
> > Kind regards,