Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC]swap improvements for fast SSD

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Shaohua Li <shli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 01:40:55PM +0900, Kyungmin Park wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 1/24/13, Simon Jeons <simon.jeons@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi Minchan,

>> 5. SSD related optimization, mainly discard support.
>>
>> Now swap codes are based on each swap slots. it means it can't
>> optimize discard feature since getting meaningful performance gain, it
>> requires 2 pages at least. Of course it's based on eMMC. In case of
>> SSD. it requires more pages to support discard.
>>
>> To address issue. I consider the batched discard approach used at filesystem.
>> *Sometime* scan all empty slot and it issues discard continuous swap
>> slots as many as possible.
>
> I posted a patch to make discard async before, which is almost good to me, though we
> still discard a cluster.
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=135087309208120&w=2

I found your previous patches, It's almost same concept as batched
discard. Now I'm testing your patches.
BTW, which test program do you use? Now we just testing some scenario
and check scenario only.
There's no generic tool to measure improved performance gain.

After test, I'll share the results.

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park