Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC]swap improvements for fast SSD

On 01/23/2013 01:58 AM, Minchan Kim wrote:
> Currently, the page table entries that have swapped out pages
> associated with them contain a swap entry, pointing directly
> at the swap device and swap slot containing the data. Meanwhile,
> the swap count lives in a separate array.
>
> The redesign we are considering moving the swap entry to the
> page cache radix tree for the swapper_space and having the pte
> contain only the offset into the swapper_space.  The swap count
> info can also fit inside the swapper_space page cache radix
> tree (at least on 64 bits - on 32 bits we may need to get
> creative or accept a smaller max amount of swap space).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this recent patchset creating a
swapper_space per type would mess this up right?  The offset alone
would no longer be sufficient to access the proper swapper_space.

Why not just continue to store the entire swap entry (type and offset)
in the pte?  Where you planning to use the type space in the pte for
something else?

Seth