Re: [patch]mm: make madvise(MADV_WILLNEED) support swap file prefetch

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 05:38:53PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 03:32:29PM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 02:38:56PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> > > Hi Shaohua,

> > > How can you make sure that the range of WILLNEED was always sequentially accesssed?
> >
> > you can't guarantee this even for file access.
>
> Indeed.

> > > What does it mean 'iodepth'? I failed to grep it in google. :(
> >
> > io depth. How many requests are inflight at a givin time.
>
> Thanks for the info!

> > > So you mean WILLNEED is always good in where both random and sequential in "SSD"?
> > > Then, how about the "Disk"?
> >
> > Hmm, even for hard disk, high iodepth random access is faster than single
> > iodepth access. Today's disk is NCQ disk. But the speedup isn't that
> > significant like a SSD. For sequential access, both harddisk and SSD have
> > better performance with higher iodepth.
> >
> > > Wanpeng's comment makes sense to me so I guess others can have a same question
> > > about this patch. So it would be better to write your rationale in changelog.
> >
> > I would, but the question is just like why app wants to prefetch file pages. I
> > thought it's commonsense. The problem like memory allocation exists in file
> > prefetch too. The advantages (better IO access, CPU and disk can operate in
> > parallel and so on) apply for both file and swap prefetch.
>
> Agreed. But I have a question about semantic of madvise(DONTNEED) of anon vma.
> If Linux start to support it for anon, user can misunderstand it following as.
>
> User might think we start to use anonymous pages in that range soon so he
> gives the hint to kernel to map all pages of the range to page table in advance.
> (ie, pre page fault like MAP_POPULATE) and if one of the page might be
> swapped out, readahead it. What do you think about it?
> For clarification, it would be better to add man page description with Ccing
> man page maintainer.

there is no confusion if the page exists or swapped. I thought what you are are
thinking about is the page isn't populated yet. The manpage declaims WILLNEED
"it might be a good idea to read some pages ahead." This sounds clear this
isn't to populate memory and matches what we did. But I'm not sure what's the
precise description.

Thanks,
Shaohua