Re: [announce] Timeout Based User-space Low Memory Killer Daemon

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 03:27:43PM +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce the first public version of my timeout based
> user-space low memory killer daemon (tbulmkd).  It is based on idea
> that user-space applications can be divided into two classes,
> foreground and background ones.  Foreground processes are visible in
> graphical user interface (GUI) and therefore shouldn't be terminated
> first when memory usage gets too high.  OTOH background processes are
> no longer visible in GUI and are pro-actively being killed to keep
> overall memory usage smaller.  Actual daemon implementation is heavily
> based on the user-space low memory killer daemon (ulmkd) from Anton
> Vorontsov (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/84302).
>
> The program is available at:
>
> 	https://github.com/bzolnier/tbulmkd

Wow, that's so great. Now it seems more like an Activity Manager.

I didn't look very close to it, but I see that you extensively use cgroups
to actually group the processes, i.e. 'daemons' cgroup, 'apps' cgroup.

So, it might be a very good start for truly cross-platform, truly generic
way to implement Activity Manager. :)

I'm surely interested in how it evolves, and will take a closer look soon.

Thanks!