Re: zram, OOM, and speed of allocation

Minchan:

I tried your suggestion to move the call to wake_all_kswapd from after
"restart:" to after "rebalance:".  The behavior is still similar, but
slightly improved.  Here's what I see.

Allocating as fast as I can: 1.5 GB of the 3 GB of zram swap are used,
then OOM kills happen, and the system ends up with 1 GB swap used, 2
unused.

Allocating 10 MB/s: some kills happen when only 1 to 1.5 GB are used,
and continue happening while swap fills up.  Eventually swap fills up
completely.  This is better than before (could not go past about 1 GB
of swap used), but there are too many kills too early.  I would like
to see no OOM kills until swap is full or almost full.

Allocating 20 MB/s: almost as good as with 10 MB/s, but more kills
happen earlier, and not all swap space is used (400 MB free at the
end).

This is with 200 processes using 20 MB each, and 2:1 compression ratio.

So it looks like kswapd is still not aggressive enough in pushing
pages out.  What's the best way of changing that?  Play around with
the watermarks?

Incidentally, I also tried removing the min_filelist_kbytes hacky
patch, but, as usual, the system thrashes so badly that it's
impossible to complete any experiment.  I set it to a lower minimum
amount of free file pages, 10 MB instead of the 50 MB which we use
normally, and I could run with some thrashing, but I got the same
results.

Thanks!
Luigi