Re: [RFC 3/3] man-pages: Add man page for vmpressure_fd(2)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:01:50 +0000
Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:12:28AM -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> >
> > > We try to make userland freeing resources when the system becomes low on
> > > memory. Once we're short on memory, sometimes it's better to discard
> > > (free) data, rather than let the kernel to drain file caches or even start
> > > swapping.
> > >

> > To add another usecase: its possible to modify our version of malloc (or
> > any malloc) so that memory that is free()'d can be released back to the
> > kernel only when necessary, i.e. when keeping the extra memory around
> > starts to have a detremental effect on the system, memcg, or cpuset.  When
> > there is an abundance of memory available such that allocations need not
> > defragment or reclaim memory to be allocated, it can improve performance
> > to keep a memory arena from which to allocate from immediately without
> > calling the kernel.
> >

> A potential third use case is a variation of the first for batch systems. If
> it's running low priority tasks and a high priority task starts that
> results in memory pressure then the job scheduler may decide to move the
> low priority jobs elsewhere (or cancel them entirely).
>
> A similar use case is monitoring systems running high priority workloads
> that should never swap. It can be easily detected if the system starts
> swapping but a pressure notification might act as an early warning system
> that something is happening on the system that might cause the primary
> workload to start swapping.

I hope Anton's writing all of this down ;)

The proposed API bugs me a bit.  It seems simplistic.  I need to have a
quality think about this.  Maybe the result of that think will be to
suggest an interface which can be extended in a back-compatible fashion
later on, if/when the simplistic nature becomes a problem.