Re: + mm-revert-mm-vmscan-scale-number-of-pages-reclaimed-by-reclaim-compaction-based-on-failures.patch added to -mm tree

Fixed Mel's address.

On 11/16/2012 03:36 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:06:50 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx said:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:45:06 -0800, you said:
>>>
>>> The patch titled Subject: mm: vmscan: scale number of pages
>>> reclaimed by reclaim/compaction only in direct reclaim has been
>>> removed from the -mm tree.  Its filename was
>>> mm-vmscan-scale-number-of-pages-reclaimed-by-reclaim-compaction-only-in-direct-reclaim.patch

This patch was dropped because it was withdrawn

>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:47:09 -0800, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> said:
>>>
>>> The patch titled Subject: mm: revert "mm: vmscan: scale number
>>> of pages reclaimed by reclaim/compaction based on failures" has
>>> been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
>>> mm-revert-mm-vmscan-scale-number-of-pages-reclaimed-by-reclaim-compaction-based-on-failures.patch

Confirming that next-20121114 with the first patch reverted and
>> the second patch applied is behaving on my laptop, with no
>> kswapd storms being spotted in over 24 hours now.
>
> OK.  Now I'm well and truly mystified.  That makes *twice* now that
> I've said "Patch makes the kswapd spinning go away", only to have
> kswapd start burning CPU a bit later.

For me and Zdenek, we think we need a couple of suspend/resume cycles.
Anyway, there was a severe slab memleak in -next kernels in the TTY
layer I fixed yesterday and should be in -next today. Could that be
causing this?

thanks,
--
js