Re: [patch for-linus] memcg, kmem: fix build error when CONFIG_INET is disabled

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Fengguang Wu wrote:

> > Fengguang, was that this error? Why hasn't it showed up before in the
> > test system?
>
> I do find this error in the build error log:
>
>         (.text+0x867f): undefined reference to `sock_update_memcg'
>         2012-09-24 04:54:53 snb next:akpm:69921c3 x86_64-randconfig-s005 0a7f618
>
> Unfortunately it was not reported because the build system could
> miss/ignore build bugs due to various reasons/imperfections. It has
> since then undergo lots of enhancements and as a result, the daily
> reported errors have more than doubled. :-)

Not sure where this discussion is going.  Do people who can't build their
kernel and have a fix for it need to verify that your build system shows
the same thing first?  This isn't a false positive.

As I said in the first message, Randy reported this on September 24 (the
same date you're reporting above) and received no response when he
reported it to LKML here:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134852557320089

Regardless, Linus' tree is messed up and I don't think we need to go back
reverting patches out of his tree when it's trivial to fix with my patch,
which Michal acked.  Sheesh.