Re: Does swap_set_page_dirty() calling ->set_page_dirty() make sense?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:51:50AM +0200, Petr Tesarik wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > So just one minor nit for Mel. SWP_FILE looks like a bit confusing name for
> > a flag that gets set only for some swap files ;) At least I didn't pay
> > attention to it because I thought it's set for all of them. Maybe call it
> > SWP_FILE_CALL_AOPS or something like that?

I guess it would be a slightly better name all right.

> Same here. In fact, I believed that other filesystems only work by accident
> (because they don't have to access the mapping). I'm not even sure about the
> semantics of the swap_activate operation. Is this documented somewhere?

Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt *briefly* describes what swap_activate()
does even though now that I read it I see that it's inaccurate. It says
that it proxies to the address spaces swapin_[out|in] method but it really
gets proxied to the direct_IO interface for writes and readpage for reads
(direct_IO could have been used for reads but my recollection was that
the locking was very awkward).

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs