Re: Consider for longterm kernels: mm: avoid swapping out with swappiness==0

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 01:15:59PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >>http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=fe35004fbf9eaf67482b074a2e032abb9c89b1dd
> >>
> >>In short: this patch seems beneficial for users trying to avoid memory
> >>swapping at all costs but they want to keep swap for emergency reasons.
> >>
> >>More details: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/2/320
> >>
> >>Its included in 3.5, so could this be considered for -longterm kernels ?
> >
> >Andrew, Rik, does this seem appropriate for longterm?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  Default behaviour is not changed at all, and
> the patch makes swappiness=0 do what people seem to expect it
> to do.

Just for the record, in 3.0 and below we don't have vmscan_swappiness(),
so if the match makes sense there, that function will need to be backported,
in which mem_cgroup_swappiness() will have to be replaced by get_swappiness().

Regards,
Willy