[RFC] Try pages allocation from higher to lower orders

Hi,

I work with embedded Linux, but new to linux MM community.
I need a way to improve performance when allocating a high number of
pages. Can't describe the exact scenario, but need to request more
than 20k pages on a time-sensitive task.
Requesting pages with order > 0 is faster than requesting a single
page 20k times if memory isn't fragmented. But in case memory is
fragmented, at some point order > 0 may not be available and page
allocation process go through more expensive path, which ends up being
slower than requesting 20k single pages. I'd like to have a way to
choose faster option depending on fragmentation scenario.
Is there currently a reliable solution for this case? Couldn't find one.
If the answer is really "no", what does it sound like to implement a
function e.g. alloc_pages_try_orders(mask, min_order, max_order). The
idea would be to try to get from free list (faster path only) page
with order <= max_order and > order_min (the higher is preferable) and
allow slow path only if min_order is the only option.

Thanks for your time,

David Cohen