Re: [patch v4]swap: add a simple random read swapin detection

On 09/03/2012 03:02 PM, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
Shaohua Li wrote:
On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 05:32:45PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
Subject: swap: add a simple random read swapin detection

The swapin readahead does a blind readahead regardless if the swapin is
sequential. This is ok for harddisk and random read, because read big
size has
no penality in harddisk, and if the readahead pages are garbage, they
can be
reclaimed fastly. But for SSD, big size read is more expensive than
small size
read. If readahead pages are garbage, such readahead only has overhead.

This patch addes a simple random read detection like what file mmap
readahead
does. If random read is detected, swapin readahead will be skipped. This
improves a lot for a swap workload with random IO in a fast SSD.

I run anonymous mmap write micro benchmark, which will triger
swapin/swapout.
            runtime changes with path
randwrite harddisk    -38.7%
seqwrite harddisk    -1.1%
randwrite SSD        -46.9%
seqwrite SSD        +0.3%

For both harddisk and SSD, the randwrite swap workload run time is
reduced
significant. sequential write swap workload hasn't chanage.

Interesting is the randwrite harddisk test is improved too. This might be
because swapin readahead need allocate extra memory, which further tights
memory pressure, so more swapout/swapin.

Generally speaking swapin readahread isn't usable while system is under
memory
pressure. Cache hit isn't very probable, because reclaimer allocates swap
entries in page-LRU order.

But swapin readahead is very useful if system recovers from memory
pressure,
it helps to read whole swap back to memory (a sort of desktop scenario).

So, I think we can simply disable swapin readahead while system is under
memory
pressure. For example in time-based manner -- enable it only after grace
period
after last swap_writepage().

Determining "under memory pressure" is pretty hard to do.

However, Shaohua's patch provides an easy way to see whether swap
readahead is helping (we are getting pages from the swap cache),
or whether it is not (pages got evicted before someone faulted on
them).

In short, Shaohua's patch not only does roughly what you want, it
does it in a simple way.

--
All rights reversed