Re: C13 [00/14] Sl[auo]b: Common code for cgroups V13

On 08/24/2012 08:09 PM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> V12->V13
> - Reduce patches to those useful for cgroup support
> - Additional patches continuing slab unification will
>   be posted separately.
>
> V10->V11
> - Fix issues pointed out by Joonsoo and Glauber
> - Simplify Slab bootstrap further
>
> V9->V10
> - Memory leak was a false alarm
> - Resequence patches to make it easier
>   to apply.
> - Do more boot sequence consolidation in slab/slub.
>   [We could still do much more like common kmalloc
>   handling]
> - Fixes suggested by David and Glauber
>
> V8->V9:
> - Fix numerous things pointed out by Glauber.
> - Cleanup the way error handling works in the
>   common kmem_cache_create() function.
> - General cleanup by breaking things up
>   into multiple patches were necessary.
>
> V7->V8:
> - Do not use kfree for kmem_cache in slub.
> - Add more patches up to a common
>   scheme for object alignment.
>
> V6->V7:
> - Omit pieces that were merged for 3.6
> - Fix issues pointed out by Glauber.
> - Include the patches up to the point at which
>   the slab name handling is unified
>
> V5->V6:
> - Patches against Pekka's for-next tree.
> - Go slow and cut down to just patches that are safe
>   (there will likely be some churn already due to the
>   mutex unification between slabs)
> - More to come next week when I have more time (
>   took me almost the whole week to catch up after
>   being gone for awhile).
>
> V4->V5
> - Rediff against current upstream + Pekka's cleanup branch.
>
> V3->V4:
> - Do not use the COMMON macro anymore.
> - Fixup various issues
> - No general sysfs support yet due to lockdep issues with
>   keys in kmalloc'ed memory.
>
> V2->V3:
> - Incorporate more feedback from Joonsoo Kim and Glauber Costa
> - And a couple more patches to deal with slab duping and move
>   more code to slab_common.c
>
> V1->V2:
> - Incorporate glommers feedback.
> - Add 2 more patches dealing with common code in kmem_cache_destroy
>
> This is a series of patches that extracts common functionality from
> slab allocators into a common code base. The intend is to standardize
> as much as possible of the allocator behavior while keeping the
> distinctive features of each allocator which are mostly due to their
> storage format and serialization approaches.
>
> This patchset makes a beginning by extracting common functionality in
> kmem_cache_create() and kmem_cache_destroy(). However, there are
> numerous other areas where such work could be beneficial:
>
> 1. Extract the sysfs support from SLUB and make it common. That way
>    all allocators have a common sysfs API and are handleable in the same
>    way regardless of the allocator chose.

> [...]

I reviewed all your series, focusing on the former problems found at the
slub. I also boot tested it, although I didn't fully bisect-tested it. I
build & boot tested individual patches where I remembered them to be
breaking before.

The series seem fine, apart from a minor concern I have with the
rcu_barrier(). The actual object freeing is still done after the
barrier, but a lot of code freeing internal structures of the allocator
is now no more, and this sounds extremely suspicious. I believe it is wrong.

The slab has some build issues, mainly present with CONFIG_DEBUG. I
pointed them out and it should be trivial to fix.

I expect at least a final respin of this fixing the aforementioned
problems. You may want for us to sort out the rcu thing on-list before
posting it. Please make it just a respin, without adding any more
patches on top, so we can converge on this.