Re: [linus:master] [mseal] 8be7258aad: stress-ng.pagemove.page_remaps_per_sec -4.4% regression

On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 7:05 AM Oliver Sang <oliver.sang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi, Linus,
>
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 12:33:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Aug 2024 at 11:55, Linus Torvalds
> > <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > So please consider this a "maybe something like this" patch, but that
> > > 'arch_unmap()' really is pretty nasty
> >
> > Actually, the whole powerpc vdso code confused me. It's not the vvar
> > thing that wants this close thing, it's the other ones that have the
> > remap thing.
> >
> > .. and there were two of those error cases that needed to reset the
> > vdso pointer.
> >
> > That all shows just how carefully I was reading this code.
> >
> > New version - still untested, but now I've read through it one more
> > time - attached.
>
> we tested this version by applying it directly upon 8be7258aad,  but seems it
> have little impact to performance. still similar regression if comparing to
> ff388fe5c4.

Hi,

I've just sent out a patch set[1] that should alleviate (or hopefully
totally fix) these performance regressions. It'd be great if you could
test it.

For everyone: Apologies if you're in the CC list and I didn't CC you,
but I tried to keep my patch set's CC list relatively short and clean
(and I focused on the active participants).
Everyone's comments are very welcome.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240806212808.1885309-1-pedro.falcato@xxxxxxxxx/
--
Pedro