Re: [question] how to increase the number of object on cache?

On Thu 02-08-12 20:20:25, Shawn Joo wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I would like to know a mechanism, how to increase the number of object and where the memory is from.
>
> (because when cache is created by "kmem_cache_create", there is only object size, but no number of the object)
> For example, "size-65536" does not have available memory from below dump.
> In that state, if memory allocation is requested to "size-65536",

Is this a follow up for
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg39252.html? It would be better
to follow the thread in that case.

> 1.     How to allocate/increase the number of object on "size-65536"?

Object count is increased automatically and transparently for the cache
users. Why would you want to control its size from the outside?

> 2.     Where is the new allocated memory from? (from buddy?)

page allocator when it cannot find any room in the internally available
space. Have a look at [1] if you want to learn more about the slab
allocator (the code has changed since then but the princibles are still
valid).

[1] http://kernel.org/doc/gorman/html/understand/understand011.html

--
Michal Hocko