Re: Hard and soft lockups with FIO and LTP runs on a large system

On 17-Jul-24 4:45 PM, Hillf Danton wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2024 16:20:04 +0530 Bharata B Rao <bharata@xxxxxxx>
On 17-Jul-24 3:07 PM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

It seems weird to me to see anything that would require ZONE_DMA allocation
on a modern system. Do you know where it comes from?

We measured the lruvec spinlock start, end and hold
time(htime) using sched_clock(), along with a BUG() if the hold time was
more than 10s. The below case shows that lruvec spin lock was held for ~25s.

What is more unusual could be observed perhaps with your hardware config but
with 386MiB RAM assigned to each node, the so called tight memory but not
extremely tight.

Hardware config is this:

Dual socket  AMD EPYC 128 Core processor (256 cores, 512 threads)
Memory: 1.5 TB
10 NVME - 3.5TB each
available: 2 nodes (0-1)
node 0 cpus: 0-127,256-383
node 0 size: 773727 MB
node 1 cpus: 128-255,384-511
node 1 size: 773966 MB

But I don't quite follow what you are hinting at, can you please rephrase or be more verbose?

Regards,
Bharata.